I’m sitting looking out at a beautiful white countryside, feeling very glad that I don’t have to go out in it. The usual English traffic chaos ensued yesterday of course, although it is much warmer today so I suspect it won’t be hanging around too long. The cat is sensibly staying indoors – not much fun going out in it when it comes up to your armpits!
Several people have asked what was in the parcel that had the alert notice on it in my last post. Here is the reveal – simply a selection of fabrics from Whaleys. I have them rolled as they are easier for me to store and don’t end up with so many creases when I come to use them.
I am lucky enough to have received some beautiful presents recently, all as a result of meeting people through blogging. The first one is from Jan in America and is one of her lovely Dooleybobbers. The colours are beautiful and there is so much on it that I keep finding something new. I do apologise as this arrived in early January and I completely forgot that I hadn’t posted a photo of it before.
I also received a beautiful workbook from Linda, in Italy, which is all about the fantasy forest that Italian quilters created. I can see that a seed from this may well germinate in England before long. Thank you Linda, it is so lovely.
Last Tuesday I met up with Linda and Julie for a day out and Julie brought with her a gorgeous selection of fabric and fibres, including prefelts, printed and dyed cotton and velvet and some lovely torn strips. I will really enjoy playing with these, thank you so much Julie. Julie has a much more comprehensive description of our day out on her blog.
The next round of the Popular Patchwork postcard swap started at the beginning of this month. We had a choice of themes, one of which was climate change. I had made a postcard for another swap a while ago and liked it enough to make a second so decided to send that one as it fitted the theme perfectly. This went to Jytte who has now received it and likes it.
Having purchased Lynda Monk‘s book Fabulous surfaces recently I couldn’t resist playing with her scrumpling technique using dissolvable vilene although I used mine with fabric rather than paper. Amazing results for such a simple process and no stitching required to reach this stage. This is the initial piece.
And this is after adding a few french knots, spraying with Adirondack colour wash and rubbing Treasure gold over the surface. I love the texture this creates although have no idea how I might use it yet.
Almost too late for my TAST sample this week but I did managed to do the next page in the end. This week was herringbone stitch, another favourite of mine. it was suggested that we combine it with one of the previous stitches so I added some fly stitch as well, and a few beads and sequins for good measure.
Finally, if you are still with me, I have started trying out Angie Hughes velvet process from her DVD. Because each step requires drying time, I cut three pieces of cotton velvet and sprayed them with silk paints as the initial background. This morning I oversprayed them with Quink ink and they are now drying again before I can start the discharge process. They look pretty boring at the moment but I hope they will become something much better as time goes on.
I now must go and try to muster up some enthusiasm for my C&G. I am trying to work on the premise that the sooner I get stuck into it the sooner I will get it finished. If anyone has any other magic motivational tips please let me know!
Enjoy your week and stay safe if you have to travel in the snow.